- The purpose of retainers is to keep teeth perfectly positioned.
- Retainers are to be worn 24 hours a day for the first six months. (Day and Night)
- Retainers are to be removed for eating and for brushing your teeth.
- When you brush your teeth, also brush your retainers with your toothbrush and some toothpaste.
- Do not use denture cleaners for your retainers.
- UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE, SHOULD YOU BOIL OR USE BOILING WATER TO CLEAN YOUR RETAINERS. IT WILL MELT AND/OR DISTORT THEM.
- When you remove your retainers for eating, use the case provided. Placing them in a napkin could inadvertently cause them to be thrown away.
- Pets have been known to chew on retainers which have been left lying around.
- Do not chew gum with retainers.
- Please bring your retainers to all future visits. They usually need to be adjusted.
- If you are unable to wear your retainers as prescribed, please call the office immediately.
Clear retainers are to be worn only during the day. If you only have a clear upper retainer, wear it with the standard lower retainer. The standard upper and lower retainers are to be worn at night. Do not drink coffee, tea and soda while wearing clear retainers. They may stain the retainers.